A printable version of the official rules can be accessed by clicking HERE.
2017 Muscatine Adult Soapbox Derby Official Rules
- Have FUN and be SAFE! The Derby is intended to be a fun and entertaining event for participants, spectators, and volunteers as well as showing off the talent and creativity of the participants.
- Participation will be limited to 50 teams. The registration fee will be $80 per team. Registration is secured once the fee has been paid in full. Once all slots are filled a waiting list will be created.
- Races will consist of 2-3 vehicles at a time. Each team will run the course at least three times
- Teams can select to enter either the Speed division or the Art division:
- Speed Division– Vehicles will be timed. Teams with the fasted average time will move on to the championship rounds. The championship races will also be timed and the two fastest cars will compete in the final race.
- Art Division– Will not be timed. Art vehicles are meant to go slow and be entertaining for spectators and the judges. Use your imagination! Be unique and have fun with your design… just keep it “PG” for the kids in the crowd.
- Yield to the downhill driver. Bumping will not be permitted.
- Unsportsmanlike or unsafe racing, as determined by Derby officials, will result in immediate disqualification
- The cost to build each vehicle may not exceed $500.
- Speed vehicles may not weigh more than 500 pounds, including driver. Art vehicles may not exceed 700 pounds, including driver/passenger.
- The vehicle may be no wider than 5 feet, no longer than 12 feet, and no taller than 8 feet.
- Speed vehicles are limited to one driver. Art vehicles may have a driver and a passenger.
- “Head First” driver/passenger positions will not be allowed, due to higher risk of injury.
- All ballast, excepting driver and passengers must be adequately secured in place.
- No automobile frames and axles will be permitted
- No glass will be allowed in the construction of vehicles
- Each vehicle’s number must be displayed in a large and prominent fashion on the front and sides of the vehicle. Numbers must be clearly visible to the timing judges. Numbers will be assigned.
- Teams will be required to submit a sketch along with a brief description of their planned vehicle. Failure to submit a sketch and full payment by May 1st may result in forfeiture of your team’s entry.
- Each vehicle must have a minimum of three wheels in contact with the track at all times. Skateboards, luge boards or similar and their wheels will not be permitted.
- Vehicle must be steerable, capable of avoiding other cars or obstacles. They must have a turning radius of 10 feet.
- Each vehicle must have functional brakes. (No Fred Flintstone style brakes, anchors, or brakes that require contact with the road) Brakes must remain functional throughout the event to prevent disqualification. Brakes must stop you from 40MPH to 0 in the span of 1 city block.
- COST OF BRAKES is exempted from the budgeted cost of building your car.
- Each vehicle must be powered by gravity only! No additional means of propulsion are permitted.
- Dry cell batteries are allowed to power lights or decorations. No car, motorcycle, or lawnmower batteries.
- It is recommended that each vehicle have an audible horn/bell.
- Each vehicle must be equipped with large eyebolts in the front and rear of the vehicle. These will be used to transport the vehicles back up the hill to the start of the race course. Vehicle must be constructed in a manner to allow multiple vehicles to be towed in a line (daisy chain) from these hooks, and for a truck to tow the vehicles back up the hill via rope and carabiner.
- Any vehicle damage that occurs during a race is required to be reported to a Derby Official. Teams will be given 20-30 minutes to make repairs and vehicle will be re-inspected prior to running the course.
- Teams will consist of at least 3 adults. No more than two drivers, a “pit crew”, and one mandatory volunteer to assist the Derby Staff during the event. Failure to provide a volunteer will result in disqualification.
- All participants must be 16 years of age or older by the time of the event with a valid U.S. drivers license.
- All drivers and team members must sign a liability form prior to racing. Failure to do so will result in immediate disqualification.
- Each driver/passenger is required to wear a helmet that is secure to their head by a strap. At a minimum, helmets must meet bicycle helmet standards. Full-face helmets are highly recommended. Closed toed shoes are also required. Other protective gear is recommended.
- All teams are required to assist with set-up, clean-up and race day operations. Duties will be assigned.
- Cell phones, text messaging, and alcohol do not mix with driving, and will not be tolerated. Team members will not be allowed to consume alcohol until they have been eliminated from the event.
- All drivers must be present with their vehicle on inspection day and prequalify to drive on race day. Failure to do so will result in immediate disqualification.
- Team members are encouraged to dress in a manner that exudes team spirit and enthusiasm! Have fun building your car…and have fun entertaining the crowd!
ALL VEHICLES WILL BE INSPECTED PRIOR TO RACE DAY. TEAMS WILL BE REQUIRED TO ATTEND PRE-RACE SAFETY INSPECTION AND TESTING. A PERFORMANCE-BASED TEST OF STEERING, STOPPING AND TOWING WILL BE CONDUCTED APPROXIMATELY THREE WEEKS PRIOR TO THE RACE. VEHICLES MUST BE CONSTRUCTED IN A SAFE, WORKMAN-LIKE MANNER AND MUST BE ABLE TO WITHSTAND THE RIGORS OF MULTIPLE RACE HEATS. UNSAFE VEHICLES MAY BE DISQUALIFIED AT THE DISCRETION OF RACE OFFICIALS. ALL VEHICLES MUST BE TESTED AT RACE WEIGHT.
RULES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE RACE COMMITTEE
Follow us for updates!